Saturday, March 31, 2012

Welcome to Abiding - Part 2

In Revelation 3:20 Jesus reminds us that He is standing at the door of our hearts, waiting for us to invite Him in, so we can abide with Him and He with us.

"Look! Here I stand at the door and knock. If you hear me calling and open the door, I will come in and we will share a meal as friends." Revelation 3:20 (NLT)

For me, maybe because I love my food, sharing a meal is one of the most intimate things I like to do with my best friend - my husband. I can imagine that doing the same with Jesus would be wonderful. You see, after my operation I not only have a scar on my face, but one side of my mouth doesn't work very well. So at the moment, I am quite a messy eater. Still, I know my husband accepts me and loves me just the same. I know the same is true with my friend Jesus.

My friend Jesus also wants be to abide in Him so I can produce fruit. In vineyard terms: "Abiding happens at the place where the branch connects to he vine".* The interesting thing I have found though, is that sometimes taking time to abide with Jesus, means there is less time to do things for Him. Yet, you may still produce a greater harvest. I have experienced this, but I am still amazed by this miracle.

You see, when you abide in Christ and His word, His desires become your desires. The same thing you did before may yield greater results, or He may ask you to bear fruit somewhere else.

Just after I married Mark, and became an Army wife, the Lord said to me: "I want you to be my seed planter'. Fine! But I also discovered this meant giving up my acting job. As an actor with `Covenant Players' I had felt I had touched many lives. What was I going to do now? I wasn't a good housewife, and it seemed I was never in one place long enough to see any fruit grow, but the opportunities I had to plant those seeds were endless -as a volunteer in schools, as a Foster mother and as I met with other Army wives. There were other times I was unable to `do' anything as such, but God gave me lots of time to pray and read His word.

'I was in hospital, feeling quite sorry for myself. After three miscarriages, I had been told that if I ever got pregnant again, I would need to spend the duration in hospital. So here I was, awaiting the birth of my child, being fussed over by doctors and nurses and hating the fact that I had little control over the situation.

Before going into hospital I had been teaching my Scripture class about Paul. I had decided I didn’t like him very much. He seemed so confident and capable, it made me sick. He had been shipwrecked, in jail, let down by His friends and in fear of his life from his enemies. Yet, he always gave thanks! How could he do this?

Next to my bed I had placed my Bible. I decided it was time to take another look at this character of Paul, and why he was able to do this. I discovered that Paul never sat around dwelling on his circumstances. When he felt afraid and alone, or helpless, he would go straight to the Father, and `nip those feelings in the bud’. He never sat for long feeling sorry for himself, but would look around to find a need somewhere that he could meet.

Across the corridor, I heard a lady crying. Her tears were for a beautiful, healthy baby boy, who she was having difficulty in loving. Her husband had walked out on her when he discovered she was pregnant, and this baby was a reminder of him. I asked the Lord for courage, then asked the woman if I could pray for her. This was a new experience for me, and I was quite surprised when she said `yes’.

I can’t remember the words I spoke, but I do know they brought comfort to this mother. Later our prayer was answered, as the last time I saw her, she was leaving the hospital cuddling her little baby, and holding on to the hand of her husband.' **


Lets take a quick look at the story of Mary and Martha in Luke 10:38-42.

"As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a village where a woman named Martha welcomed them into her home. Her sister Mary sat at Jesus' feet listening to what he taught. But Martha was worrying over the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said: "Lord, doesn't it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me."

But the Lord said to her: "My dear Martha. You are upset over all these details. There is really only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it and I won't take it away from her."

1. Abiding Requires Our Focused Attention.

There are many things that distract us from spending time with God, but we are reminded in this story that `abiding' is the `one thing that is needed'.

2. Abiding is for Every Believer Regardless of Age or Level of Maturity.

Jesus wanted activity minded Martha to choose abiding. But it was hard for her to stop `doing'.

I was overwhelmed and challenged last Sunday when our Youth Pastor told us how the young people had given up their `sleeping hours' to take part in our 24hrs of prayer. Oh, Mark and I gave our hour, but this was in between our other activities.

Like Martha there are times I get bogged down with the `doing' and forget to take time for the `abiding'.

3. Abiding is Available to Every Believer at any Time or Place.

Jesus challenged Martha about her priorities, not her activities. Regular time set aside to wholly focus on God is where abiding begins, but it can continue during the day - while you work, folding laundry or mowing the lawn. Brother Lawrence calls this: "practicing the presence of God".***

I like to listen to my worship music while I work, helping me to know I am always in God's presence. I used to get up early and go for a walk in the bush. It was so easy to focus on God with His creation all around me. Now, my mornings are spent reading God's Word, journalling and praying - and my praying and worshipping continues during the day.

4. Abiding is With a Person.

Notice how Mary's desire was to be with Jesus, to experience His presence and listen to His teaching. This is the desire we too need to have in our hearts.

"The Lord is close to all who call on Him, yes to all who call on Him sincerely." Psalm 145:18

"Draw near to God and He will draw near to you." James 4:8.


*Secrets if the Vine" - Bruce Wilkinson, 2002, Multnomah Publishers

** "In the Palm of His Hand" - Ruth Cheater.

*** "Practicing the Presence of God" - 1958, Brother Lawrence, Spire Books.

No comments: