Friday, April 20, 2012

Producing Quality Fruit - Part 1

"Yes, I am the Vine and you are the branches. Those who remain in me and I in them will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing." John 15:5

"I want to be a tree that's bearing fruit
That God has pruned and caused to shoot.
Oh, up in the sky so very high,
I want to be, want to be a blooming tree." 1.

This has become the latest tune that has been stuck in my brain.  As I think about abiding in Christ, I now want to make sure I am producing quality fruit.

There are 2 types of fruit that I have discovered in the Bible. 

1. The first is found in Galatians 5:22&23, which we know as the `Fruits of the Spirit". 

"The fruit of the Spirit is LOVE, JOY, PEACE, PATIENCE, KINDNESS, GOODNESS, GENTLENESS, FAITHFULNESS and SELF CONTROL.". 

To really learn how to produce these fruits in your life you need to read the whole Bible, but for today, we'll begin at Verse 16, of Galatians 5. It says: 

"Let the HOLY SPIRIT GUIDE YOUR LIVES. Then you won't be doing what the sinful nature craves."

No matter how much we try to live `good' lives, our sinful nature will always be fighting our good intentions. Without abiding in Christ and allowing the Holy Spirit to work within you, that sinful nature will always win. 
Oh it may not be anything drastic like `drunkenness or sexual immorality'; but how many times have you quarrelled with someone, been selfish, jealous or had an outburst of anger.  I know I have. 

But as believers, we can thank the Lord that the `passions and desires of our sinful nature' were `nailed with Christ and crucified there". 2 As Christ's followers we can now have these FRUITS OF THE SPIRIT, as we follow the Holy Spirit's leading in every area of our lives.

What I love most about producing fruit, is it's not a matter of``having to' (the law) anymore, but because of God's grace and the Holy Spirit living in me, I now WANT TO. 

"God has promised His Holy Spirit
Will water our roots and help us grow. 
Listen and obey and before you know it,
Your fruit will start to grow, grow, grow". 1

2. The second kind of fruit is what is often known as `good works'.

"God saved you by GRACE when you believed. You can't take credit for this, it is a gift from God.
Salvation is not a reward for the good things you have done, so none of us can boast about it."
                                                                                       Ephesians 2:8&9

Many years ago I was given the opportunity to speak on this passage at a Seventh Day Adventist Church.  Nothing thrills a speaker more than to look out and see people with tears of joy, as they come to the realization that they are SAVED BY GRACE and not works. 

As you come to this realization you become even more fruitful as your `good works' are now bringing glory to God. Again, they are something you WANT to do, rather than have to.

"For we are God's masterpiece.  He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so that we can do the things He planned for us long ago." Ephesians 2:10. (NLT)

"You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so the Father will give you anything you ask for in His name." John 15:16 (NLT)

God has chosen you to bear fruit that no one can produce exactly like you. The more you abide in Christ, the more your fruitfulness becomes a passion and your life is filled with joy in the Holy Spirit. 

"You'll be a tree that's bearing fruit
With a very, very, very strong root.
Bright colours like daisies, more fruit than Sainsburies,
You'll be a blooming tree." 1

1. "I Want to Be a Blooming Tree", 1996, Doug Horley, Thankyou Music.

2. "Secrets of the Vine", 2002, Bruce Wilkinson, Multnomah Publishers. 












No comments: