Friday, April 27, 2012

Producing Quality Fruit - Part 3

"I am the True Vine and my Father is the Gardener. He cuts off every branch of mine that doesn't bear fruit and prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more." John 15:1&2 (NLT)


Every year I would watch my husband pruning my orchids. At first, to a novice like myself this seemed unnecessary and counter productive, until later in the year when the new flowers came out.  What a delight!

Christians often have difficulty with God's pruning as this often takes place through testing and trials.

"Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for GREAT JOY. For you know that when your faith is tested, your ENDURANCE has a chance to grow."  James 1:2&3 (NLT)


James tells us that there are two main benefits to God's pruning:

1. GREAT JOY.
2. ENDURANCE.

The last couple of weeks I have been struggling with these. After lots of prayer and speaking with friends I made the decision to take 2 months off work and children's ministry.  Work wasn't so difficult, as my boss had already found a couple to replace me. But my children's ministry - now that was another matter.

a) I have felt guilty.  All my wonderful devotions about `producing fruit' and `good works' and I want to take time out.

b) I am not sure I want to be `replaced'. I know these young ones have a lot more vitality than I have these days, and I've given a good 30 years. But the fact is, watching others do what I love doing doesn't come easy.

I've learnt over the years that pruning is never easy. But there is a goal - the production of more fruit. This new fruit `custom suited' to our individual needs, and like discipline, it is only as effective as we allow it to be.

Paul was one of many bible heroes that allowed God to prune his `branches'. Through imprisonment (Philippians 1:12-14),  through his weaknesses (2 Corinthians 12:7-10) and through self sacrifice (Philippians 3:7-9).


I have also read about a number of fruitful men of God, who seemed to have grasped this concept well too.
 
  George Mueller was an evangelist, but spent most of his life working with orphans in  Bristol, England.  He is most well known for giving education to over  10,000 orphans and was accused of allowing them status above their station in life.  He was probably what we would call the founder of the Christian school.

"Our Heavenly Father never takes anything from His children unless He means to give them something better."  George Mueller.   1



Then there is our old mate Charles Spurgeon - a Baptist Minister - known not just for his amazing preaching, but also for his encouragement and teaching of Bible College students, having started charities and Bible Colleges that changed the lives of many young people. Of course, his writings can still be read today.

"I owe more to fire, the hammer and the file than anything else in my Lord's workshop."  Charles Spurgeon.  2




Pruning is future orientated.  Like Paul, George and Charles, I have discovered that loss happens, so that gain can come later. In pruning God is shaping us into who He has created us to be. It may not be easy, it may even hurt a little, but if you allow God to prune you the new blooms or fruit you produce will be a delight.

"We know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28 (NLT)


"You didn't choose me, I chose you.  I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name."  John 15:16  (NLT)

1. Wikipedia - George Mueller.  


2. Wikepedia - Charles Spurgeon.
















                                                       


No comments: