Friday, April 27, 2012

PRODUCING QUALITY FRUIT - Part 2

Now we know that we have been created for a fruitful life, let's look at what happens if our fruit becomes diseased.

"When you obey my commandments you remain in my love, just I obey my Father's commandments and remain in His love. I have told you these things so that you will be filled with joy. Yes, your joy will overflow."  John 15:10&11

As I've said many a time, I am not a gardener. The other day I was picking vegetables in the garden and came across what looked like a `dead branch' that had fallen to the ground.   I was about to throw it away when my husband said, `Don't do that. I'll pick it up and re-attach it.  It will grow again.'  Whatever!

Later that morning when reading my devotions I came across these words:

"A grape branch does not bear fruit when it becomes diseased and barren, and falls into the dirt. But the branch is too valuable to be cut off. So the vinedresser takes up the branch, cleans it off and refastens it to the trellis. Soon it is thriving again.' 1


When Christians become dirty and unfruitful because of sin, God lifts them up and cleans them off, so that they can be fruitful again. This is what is known in the Bible as `God's discipline'.

"My child, don't reject the Lord's discipline and don't be upset when he corrects you. For the Lord corrects those He loves, just as a father corrects a child in whom he delights." Proverbs 3:11&12 (NLT)


Of course how we respond to God's discipline makes a difference in how fruitful our lives will be. Hebrews 12 talks about the positive and negative responses to discipline.

"Do not despise the chastening of the Lord, and don't be discouraged when he corrects you." Hebrews 12:5a (NIV)


"My child, don't make light of the Lord's discipline, and don't give up when He corrects you." Hebrews 12:5a  (NLT)


Do you remember a time when you were a child and your parents disciplined you? Maybe you sulked, argued or got in a rage, because you `despised' this discipline.  In the NLT the words `make light' are used. I like this, as how often do we not take not the Lord's discipline very seriously, consequently becoming self centred - wanting to do things our way and not God's.  When this happens not a lot of change or growth takes place.

Discouragement or `giving up' (NLT), usually sees you sitting around feeling sorry for yourself. To ward off this discouragement the best thing to do is to go straight to God, talk to Him and then do what he says to make your mistake right.

"Look carefully..... lest any root of bitterness springs up and causes trouble."  Hebrews 12:15b (NIV)


"Watch out that no poisonous root of bitterness grows up to trouble you, corrupting many" Hebrews 12:15b (NLT)


In the NLT they call it a `poisonous root'. Now we all know what poison does to our bodies, just imagine what this bitterness (poisonous root) does to our souls. My experience of allowing bitterness to take hold is one of both physical and spiritual `illness'. Not wanting to take responsibility for my own actions, I make excuses or blame others.

Healing has come only when I have gone to God and allowed Him to lift the burden of bitterness so that I can begin my journey of growth and fruitfulness again.

The best result of discipline is a lasting, positive change. This make take time, especially when a value, habit or character quality is the problem. Remember though, that God's love is bigger than any problem. With endurance and perseverence we will again harvest the fruit of right living.

"The Lord disciplines those He loves and he punishes each one he accepts as His child." Hebrews 12:6 (NLT)


"God's discipline is always good for us, so that we might share in His holiness. No discipline is enjoyable when it is happening - it's painful! But afterward there will be a peaceful harvest of right living for those who are trained by it."  Hebrews 12:10&11  (NLT)


1. "Secrets of the Vine" (2002) Bruce Wikinson, Multnomah Publishers. 


















No comments: